Data Protection Course - BCS Practitioner
Write your awesome label here.
** Course recently refreshed to reflect recent changes in data protection regulations**
Learn about data protection for local authorities and public authorities, AI and processing of personal data, data protection implications for employment practices code, international data transfers, more information about PECR, Freedom of Information requests, obligations of controllers.
Refreshed course includes data protection for local authorities and public authorities, AI and processing of personal data, data protection implications for employment practices code, international data transfers, more information about PECR, Freedom of Information requests, obligations of controllers.
Do you need a qualification in data protection or are you thinking about learning more about data protection for your organisation?
The BCS Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection is a level 3-4 certified course designed for those with some data protection responsibilities in an organisation and wish to achieve and demonstrate a broad understanding of the law and progresses from what is taught in the BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection.
You will learn the knowledge of UK data protection law, incorporating the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 18), as well as the EU General, Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR), along with an understanding of how they are applied in practice.
This version of the syllabus has been updated to take into account the UK’s withdrawal
from the EU and following the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement that was signed in December 2020. It also includes the two adequacy decisions published 28 June 2021 by the EU Commission in respect of the UK regarding transfers under the EU GDPR; and to transfers under the Law Enforcement Directive (LED).
Study time: 24 hours
Gain Industry Skills
12 months course access
Includes remote exam
Job and Career Support
Learn Online - Study at home or work
Aligned to SFIAPlus
IT Industry Framework
Globally Recognised BCS Certificate with the letters AMBCS after your name
Free 1 year BCS Membership
0% Interest Free Payments
Empty space, drag to resize
Gain the skills you need to become a real professional, boost your confidence, and master the field.
Data protection training can reduce the risk of a data breach by up to 60%!
Data Protection Course - BCS Practitioner
Level 3 - 4
The BCS Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection is a globally recognised professional qualification at level 3 - 4 which will help develop your knowledge and understanding in these specific subjects:
Course Subjects You Learn
- Explain the concepts of data protection and privacy
- Describe the history of data protection in the UK
- Describe the territorial scope and jurisdiction of GDPR
- When a representative of the controller is needed
- Define key terminology
- Demonstrate how UK GDPR principles regulate the processing of personal data
- Illustrate the lawful bases to process personal data listed under (Article 6) of the UK GDPR
- Describe the conditions permitted for processing special category data listed under Article 9 of UK GDPR
- Explain the rules for processing criminal offence data
- Identify the accountability and data governance obligation (Article 5 (2) Article 24)
- Describe the purpose of a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) and when risks arising from one may need prior consultation with the supervisory authority/ICO (Article 36)
- Demonstrate the process of conducting a DPIA (Article 35)
- Explain what a record of processing activity (RoPA) is, the information it should contain and why this is important (Article 30)
- Outline the interplay with privacy notices (Article 13 & 14)
- Demonstrate how to adopt a ‘data protection by design and by default’ approach (Article 25)
- Identify suitable information security measures (Article 32)
- Explain the designation, position and tasks of the Data Protection Officer (DPO) (Article 37 to 39)
- Explain the scope of the DPO role in monitoring compliance and managing risks through a Privacy Management programme (Article 39 1.b)
- Explain controller and processor obligations (Article 24 & 28)
- Describe the concept of joint controllers (Article 26)
- Describe the act of processing under the authority of a controller or processor (Article29)
- Explain what a Data Processing Agreement is and when it would be necessary in a controller-processor arrangement
- Recognise the general principles for transferring personal data to third countries from both the UK and the EU and illustrate what issues might arise from each of the following mechanisms
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the key rights granted to individuals (Articles 12 to17 and 21 to 22)
- Express awareness of rights
- Describe the restrictions and exemptions that may affect data subject rights
- Explain the fundamental rights of information requests
- Explain the role and importance of Supervisory Authorities
- Explain the role of the Information Commissioner's Office ICO
- Explain what constitutes a personal data breach and the information required for reporting
- Explain when the obligations arise to report breaches of personal data (Articles 33 and 34 UK GDPR)
- Explain how a data protection complaint should be handled (Article 57 (1)(f))
- Describe the sanctions that could be imposed as a result of a personal data breach or data protection complaint
- Describe liabilities
- Identify the role of tribunal and justice courts
- Explain how data protection legislation applies to children
- Define the meanings of public authority and public body and how it relates to both Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR (Section 7 of Data Protection Act 2018)
- Explain the provisions relating to Data Protection Officers (DPOs) for public authorities
- Explain awareness of the existence of the exemptions for health, social work and education (Schedule 3, DPA 18)
- Explain the relationship between PECR and the GDPR, including PECR’s
- Recognise the data protection implications of the Employment Practices Code
- Describe how the use of video surveillance and CCTV (Data Protection Code of Practice for surveillance cameras and personal information) is governed by data protection law
- Explain how data sharing practices are governed by data protection law (ICO Data Sharing Code of Practice)
- Analyse the benefits versus the risks of AI for individuals and organisations
- Analyse the impact of AI on the principles and concepts of data protection
- Explain the process of completing a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) where AI is used.
Study Easily Online with Duco Digital
• Work through online course content which is easy to follow, understand and in a logical format
• Login to continue your course and monitor your progression easily at-a-glance
• Book your online exam to take at home or in an office, no need to visit a test centre
• Multiple choice exam
• Test paper included with practice questions
• Tutor support available 9 am - 5 pm weekdays GMT
• Start today!
Recognised globally by corporations, academics and IT professionals, BCS is the British Computer Society, more commonly known as the Chartered Institute for IT.
They have over 60,000 members in 150 countries, and a wider community of business leaders, educators, practitioners and policy-makers all committed to their mission of leading the IT industry through its ethical challenges, to support the people who work in the industry, and to make IT good for society.
We're here to help you pass your course and grow your career; study with Duco Digital Training, the UK's leading online BCS accredited training provider.
Write your awesome label here.
EMPLOYERS NEED DATA PROTECTION SKILLS
Data Breaches are
Caused by Human Error
Employees Would Comply With Data Policies if they Received Training
Data Protection Training
Can Reduce the Risk of a Breach
Why should I take this course?
This Practitioner professional certification in Data Protection, certified at levels 3-4, will help develop your career if you have some data protection responsibilities in an organisation and wish to achieve and demonstrate a broad understanding of the law
The salary range for UK jobs in data protection is £34,140 - £65,000, so now is a great time to gain a qualification.
This course will help your career if you are:
• An individual looking to up-skill
• Pursuing further education in IT or computing at University level
• Thinking of changing career
• Project Managers, middle and senior managers and Directors who need to understand more detail about data protection
Specifically, the following roles could benefit from this course (as well as good examples of career opportunities):
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Information Governance, risk and compliance
- Data Management
- Project Management
- Directors/Senior Managers with Data
- Protection responsibilities.
- This course is recommended for those who have previously studied the BCS Foundation in Data Protection or have 1 - 2 years in a role with experience and resposnsibility for data protection. Please contact us if you are unsure about your suitability for this courser.
- An internet connection with a mobile/tablet or laptop is required.
While data protection training is valuable across all sectors given the digital nature of today's world, there are certain sectors where it is particularly critical:
•Information Technology (IT) and Cybersecurity
• Finance and Banking
• Retail and E-commerce
• Government and Public Services
• Cyber Security
It's important to note that virtually all sectors can benefit from data protection training, as data has become a crucial part of nearly every industry.
1. Click on the enrolment email to gain access
2. Complete your study
3. Book your BCS exam using the link in the BCS email sent to you 14 days after enrolment
4. Take your exam
5. Download your BCS certificate from your BCS exam account when you pass
6. Access your free* 1-year BCS Associate membership from the link in your BCS exam account
7. Create BCS professional profile, access further learning, build networks and access career tool with BCS membership
*New BCS members only
Witness it first hand, directly from our fantastic students.
Meet our instructor
CEO & Founder
I’m Darren BCS Accredited Trainer and Company Director of Duco Digital Training. My objective is to help you attain the relevant skills in technology and business that you can use to move forward in your career, which is accessible and affordable.
If you have any questions about choosing the right course for your career, please contact me
Future Proof Your Career
Take your career and expertise to the
Get a brand new password!
Enter your brand new password