Data Protection Course - BCS Foundation
Award Winning, Online, Self-Study
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection is a Level 2 - 3 certified course designed for those who need to have an understanding of data protection, and the GDPR in particular, to do their job and knowledge of data protection law would be effective in their role.
If you are interested in learning data protection at levels 3 -4 , please read about the BCS Practitioner course in Data Protection.
Online, self-study, global access to study in any country
Study time: 23.5 hours
Gain Industry Skills
12 months course access
Includes remote exam
Job and Career Support
Learn Online - Study at home or work
Aligned to SFIAPlus
IT Industry Framework
Globally Recognised BCS Certificate with the letters AMBCS after your name
Free 1 year BCS Membership
0% Interest Free Payments
Exam & Certification Included
Gain the skills you need to become a real professional, boost your confidence, and master the field.
Data protection training can reduce the risk of a data breach by up to 60%!
Data Protection Course - BCS Foundation
Level 2 - 3
Course Subjects You Learn
- Demonstrate an awareness around personal data rights in the EU and the UK
- Describe the territorial scope and jurisdiction of the UK GDPR (Article 3)
- Define the key items of terminology
- Describe data protection principles.
- Explain the lawful basis to process Personal Data listed under (Article 6) of the UK GDPR
- Describe the conditions permitted for processing special category data listed under Article 9 of UK GDPR
- Identify the accountability obligations (Article 5 (2) and Article 24) UK GDPR
- Describe the purpose of a Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) UK GDPR
- Explain the process of conducting a DPIA (Article 35) UK GDPR and identify when risks arising from a DPIA may need prior consultation with the ICO (Article 36) UK GDPR
- Identify the importance of keeping a record of processing activity (RoPA) (Article 30) UK GDPR.
- Outline the interplay with privacy notices (Article 13 & 14) UK GDPR
- Demonstrate how to adopt a ‘data protection by design and by default’ approach (Article 25) UK GDPR.
- Identify suitable information security measures (Article 32) UK GDPR
- Explain the designation, position and tasks of the Data Protection Officer (DPO) (Article 37 to 39) UK GDPR
- Explain the role of the DPO and compliance monitoring Identify the controller and processor obligations
- Explain the principles of data transfers under UK GDPR and the impact of data transfers to and from the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Explain the key rights granted to individuals (Articles 12 to 17 and 21 to 22) UK GDPR
- Explain the fundamental rights of other information requests
- Explain the impact of AI on data rights
- Express awareness of the role of ISAs under EU GDPR. (Article 57 & 58 EU GDPR)
- Explain the role of the ICO
- Explain the obligation and requirements surrounding the reporting of personal data breaches (UK GDPR Articles 33 and 34)
- Identify the powers of the ICO that can be imposed as a result of a data protection breach or data protection complaint (Article 58 UK GDPR)
- Describe liabilities
- Identify the relationship between the UK GDPR, Data Protection Act 2018 and PECR in respect of marketing. (Email phone, SMS, in-app messaging, push notifications).
Study Easily Online with Duco Digital
Who is BCS?
They have over 60,000 members in 150 countries, and a wider community of business leaders, educators, practitioners and policy-makers all committed to their mission of leading the IT industry through its ethical challenges, to support the people who work in the industry, and to make IT good for society.
EMPLOYERS NEED DATA PROTECTION SKILLS
Caused by Human Error
Can Reduce the Risk of a Breach
Why should I take this course?
The salary range for UK jobs in data protection is £34,140 - £65,000, so now is a great time to gain a qualification.
Who is this course for?
Specifically, the following roles could benefit from this course (as well as good examples of career opportunities):
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Information Governance, risk and compliance
- Data Management
- Project Management
- Directors/Senior Managers with Data
- Protection responsibilities.
- No experience is required for this course, however a good standard of English is recommended.
- An internet connection with a mobile/tablet or laptop is required.
It's important to note that virtually all sectors can benefit from data protection training, as data has become a crucial part of nearly every industry.
What Happens After I Enrol?
Don't just take our word for it
Meet our instructor
If you have any questions about choosing the right course for your career, please contact me.